Friday, February 29, 2008

A New Journey that Honours Tradition

Velkommen!
Hailsin!
Wowahwa!
Welcome.
Peace to you.

Today is about Grandma's influence on the journey I am taking in sharing the creating of dolls, embroidered tea towels and other adventures in the arts.

Grandma knew how important a good tea towel was. She used them to strain, to tie babies into chairs to feed them, as an apron, as a mop, as a dustcloth, to wipe faces and hands, as a quick fix diaper, to protect her hair from cobwebs, and even to dry dishes. They also served a decorative purpose and a creative outlet, when embroidered.

Grandma also knew the importance of dolls. Dolls can provide comfort, inspiration, and be a constant companion in a changing world. They can also express a person's personality and soul qualities.

Mail was a lifeline for her. She made a point to remember everyone she knew with a birthday card. She kept contact with her many friends, children, grand-children, and great-grandchildren by letter as they spread their wings across the country and beyond.

In my eyes, Grandma was a forward thinking, comical, loving, stubborn, rag-time woman. Her love of children was always evident. If she were alive today, I believe she would be thrilled with the technology that connects people that may have never known each other in an earlier day. I hope that she would be proud that her grandchildren and great-grandchildren remember her traditions and are esteemed to keep them alive and new.

Today I am celebrating her influence in the choices I am making that bring joy with tradition into my life. Today is the beginning of a new adventurous journey with cherished memories of my grandma to guide me.

Mange takk, Gammlemor!
(Many thanks, Grandma!)

Canoni

No comments: